In Lexington, Virginia, a two car accident escalated to a pileup with 41 vehicles. The accident was caused by a combination of factors including torrential rain and speed. The accident left as many as ten people injured. Of the accident were 6 tractor-trailers.
The accident first occurred when one vehicle was blocking the median and another vehicle was partially blocking one lane. Due to the downpour, it was very difficult for cars to see ahead of them. The rain limited drivers’ inability to see past 20 feet. To make matters worse, cars may have been speeding making it more difficult to stop on time.
Due to the accident, traffic was backed up for several hours and all lanes were closed. None of the injuries were life-threatening, but two of the ten injured had to be transported to the hospital via helicopter. According to police officers, some truck drivers veered off the road and overturned in order to avoid hitting other vehicles. This maneuver helped saved lives as an 80,000 lb. truck ramming into a 2,000 lb. car can leave serious injuries for the passengers in the vehicle.
Common Car Accident Causes
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Distracted driving that may include texting or talking on the phone, browsing the web, applying makeup while driving, or doing anything that takes your attention off the road
- Taking drowsy medication before driving
Injuries That May Be Sustained
- Broken bones and fractures
- Cuts and scrapes
- Traumatic brain injury and head trauma
- Spinal cord and back injury
- Whiplash and neck injuries
Speak to a Personal Injury Car Accident Attorney
If you or someone you know was recently injured in a car accident by an irresponsible driver, you should contact our personal injury attorneys today. Our personal injury attorneys will work to earn you monetary compensation for your pain and suffering caused by the negligent driver. For a free and confidential consultation, call our law offices today. We will work to maximize your settlement award.