A recent news article revealed a large number of toddlers are inadvertently swallowing liquid detergent capsules.
These capsules, known as Liquitabs are becoming a common, dangerous habit among toddlers, and can cause extreme harm to children when swallowed.
Doctors from the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Scotland reported that the habit is becoming a “significant public health issue.” The doctors urge detergent makers and packagers to redesign their packaging and safety warnings.
The doctors reported in the Archives of Chidlhood Diseases that “Laundry and dishwasher detergent Liquitabs should have childproof packaging and better safety warnings, after several reports have come in of young children swallowing contents of the capsules.”
Five children were reported for swallowing the liquitab capsules in one hospital in Glasglow over a period of 18 months.
Detergent capsules are not childproof and need better safety warnings
Liquitabs are bright colored capsules that can look like candy to toddlers. The detergents are not childproof, and at the moment, manufacturers and packing companies are encouraged to reconsider safety standards.
If your child was poisoned, contact a poison control center, and speak to an attorney
Manufacturers of these liquitabs do not provide sufficient safety warnings on the packages, and some parents are not aware of the danger the liquitabs present to your child. If your child was injured, you may have aclaim.
Although children who were inadvertently poisoned from swallowing one of these gel packets made full recovery, the incidents will have catastrophic impacts on the child. Not only do the gels cause serious medical concerns, but the aftermath can be expensive and emotionally draining.
Protect your child
Make sure to follow the safety standards printed by manufacturers of any products. However, if your child was wrongfully injured due to a product defect or failure to provide efficient safety warnings, you may be eligible to a claim. Contact a lawyer to speak about your case.