Caffeine Toxicity and the Deaths Due to Monster Energy Drinks

Following 5 reported deaths from consuming the super caffeinated energy drink, Monster, the FDA has launched an investigation into the beverage.  Previously, energy drinks were unregulated by the FDA because they were classified as diet supplements, which are currently outside of the FDA's jurisdiction. 

However, following these 5 reported deaths after consuming the super caffeinated beverage, the FDA is investigating the safety of these drinks.  Over the past 5 years, emergency rooms have seen a 10 fold increase in visits due to toxic caffeine consumption. 

Are these Caffeine Drinks Toxic?

The FDA recommends an adult consume no more than 400 mg of caffeine per day.  In FDA regulated products, beverages are limited to 200 mg of caffeine per beverage. Each Monster energy drink contains 240 mg or more dependant upon the size of the beverage.  A cup of coffee, in contrast, contains 50 mg, or 5 times less. 

However, what could be safe for one adult could be dangerous for another because of various congenital problems and varying health conditions.  If you experience the following symptoms, your caffeine consumption could be toxic:

  • shortness of breath
  • abdominal pain
  • insomnia
  • jitters, restlessness
  • irregular heart beats
  • heart attack
  • death
What to Do if You Have Suffered Symptoms of Caffeine Overdose or Experienced Caffeine Toxicity

Caffeine toxicity does not have to be fatal, but it can be in some people. If you have experienced any of the above symptoms, you are encouraged to seek medical care.  Do not take the risk that irregular heart beats and shortness of breath will go away.  Seek immediate medical treatment.  If you or a loved one has experienced severe caffeine toxicity, please call a skilled attorney to review your legal rights. You could be entitled to compensation for your injuries.