On the night of April 6, 2013, a crash near Kingsburg involving two vehicles left four people dead – of the three were teenagers. A 24 year-old drunk driver drove his Mazda pickup truck through a stop sign and slammed into a Mercury sedan. The sedan did not have a stop.
Consequently, the crash caused two people to be thrown from the Mercury. Two 16 year-old girls, a 19-year old man and a 21 year –old woman were killed while three others were left injured. The driver was also in critical condition along with a 33 year-old passenger. The 24 year-old driver of the Mercury sedan was the only survivor in the Mercury and suffered only minor injuries.
Unfortunately, drunk-driving accidents like the one described above occur quite commonly and result in fatal injuries. According to the organization, Mothers against Drunk Driving, also known as MADD:
- Every 53 minutes, a person is killed in a drunk-driving crash.
- In total, that is 9,878 people for the year of 2011.
- Every 90 seconds, a person is injured because of a drunk-driving accident.
- About one-third of drunk-driving problems (arrest, deaths, crashes, injuries) occur due to a repeat offender.
- On average, one in three people will be involved in a drunk-driving crash in their lifetime.
- An average drunk-driver has drove impaired 80 times before their first arrest.
How to Prevent Drunk Driving
Hopefully, the above statistics will prevent many drivers from driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs. Several ways to prevent drunk driving is to designate a person to drive while sober or by taking a cab. If you must drive, you should wait an hour for every drink you consume before getting behind the wheel. Know your limit and educate yourself. Remember to eat before drinking and beware of mixing alcohol with medication.
Contact a Personal Injury Attorney
Unfortunately, thousands of people are severely or fatally injured due do a drunk-driver. If you or someone you know was recently harmed in a drunk-driving accident you should speak to a personal injury attorney today.
A skilled personal injury attorney will work to earn you monetary compensation for any physical pain or financial suffering resulting from a drunk-driver. Do not fall victim to a drunk-driver’s irresponsible actions. Take the necessary legal actions in acquiring the benefits you deserve after being injured from drunk-driver.