On the afternoon of April 5, 2013, a sports utility vehicle crashed into a 5 year-old Azusa boy. The collision occurred near Arrow Highway around 1:30 PM. The 5 year-old boy was walking with his father and 3 year-old sister who was in a stroller. According to the police sergeant, the boy darted into the street.
Unfortunately, a driver in a Jeep Cherokee failed to see the boy and swerved. However, the driver was unable to avoid him and hit him. The jeep then collided into a curb. The boy was thrown several feet due to the impact. Neither the father nor sister was injured. The boy was taken to a nearby medical center by helicopter in critical condition. He later died at the hospital due to his injuries.
Contributing Factors and Causes
Every day, numerous pedestrians are injured due to traffic accidents. Pedestrian injuries can take place as a result of numerous factors such as:
- Location type: if you are walking in a busier and crowded street
- Time of occurrence: if you are walking at night time and it is difficult to see crossing pedestrians
- Driving under the influence: if a driver is impaired due to alcohol or drugs and injures a pedestrian as a result
- Rate of speed: if the driver of the vehicle is unable to stop quickly enough due to accelerating at high speeds
Read the following statistics to understand the gravity and harm that pedestrians face today:
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 4,280 pedestrians died in car accidents in 2010- this is a 4% increase from the number of deaths reported in 2009.
- It is estimated that in 2010 alone, about 70,000 pedestrians were injured. Of those, about 14,000 were children age 14 and younger.
Pedestrians suffer injury frequently due to car accidents. As pedestrians, we must remember to always be conscious of nearby vehicles and look both ways before crossing the street. Drivers should also remember to refrain from texting while driving or being inattentive to the road as this may also cause accidents injuring pedestrians.
Personal Injury Attorney
If you or someone you know suffered a pedestrian injury due to another driver, you should contact a personal injury attorney immediately. A personal injury attorney will work to earn you monetary compensation for your pain and suffering.